Sunday 14 October 2012

A cushion to comfort


A couple of weeks ago I asked what was important to you in a cushion: looks or comfort.  You clearly like to have your cake and eat it; a cushion without both looks and comfort is not worthy in your view.

This is not the most chic of cushions, but I like to think it has its own certain charm.

This is a cushion to hold your hand and comfort you; a cushion to be hugged and squeezed.  It's made from a favourite old pyjama shirt.  Years of wear had left the fabric lovably soft, but also meant that the pyjamas were close to falling apart.  They had been my favourite pair for so long I could not bear to part with them.  What better way to hold onto them than to turn them into a cushion?

I could have made a simple red tartan cushion, but I wanted to try to keep the look of the pyjamas and retain their spirit somehow.  To this end, I included the pocket and buttons of the pyjama shirt in the cushion cover.  I think using these adds some interest to the design.  I opted to sew up the front of the shirt, but if I were to attempt a similar project in the future I think I would use this to create a pocket - it could make a lovely case in which to keep pjs.

1 comment: