Sunday 18 August 2013

Large nine-patch quilt - stage 1

I've started work on some bunting today - can't tell you more at the moment because it's going to be a present.

What I can share with you is the news that I have finally (having started them last summer) finished all 16 of the framed nine-patch blocks for a large quilt I am planning.  There is still a lot to do, but this is a very pleasing milestone to have reached.

quilting


Oxfam used to sell recycled cotton squares (part of its Ethical Collection). I was so taken with the patterns, I bought several packs with no particular project in mind and put them away in my sewing basket for the proverbial rainy day.  When I set myself the challenge of making a banner for my friend to take with her when she went campaigning for the group Women for Whales, the blue and white patterened squares were perfect for a whale.

I knew I wanted to use the rest of the squares for quilting, but the question was what patchwork design.  I toyed with various ideas, but in the end I went for nine-patch blocks.  I felt that these were the best use of the fabric as this design made the most of the pre-cut squares and was the best way of showing off the varied, fabulous patterns.

The idea of framing the squares came later (an idea from my Mother), and for this I used unbleached calico.  I think it frames the squares perfectly.  You can buy pre-washed calico quite cheaply - I got mine from Doughty's.


quilting
Excluding seam allowance, each framed block measures 40x40cm

The next step will be to quilt each square before joining them together.  I did the patchwork by hand, but I may do the quilting by machine.


quilting

There are still decisions to make - what quilting design to use, what to use as a backing fabric, and what fabric to choose to join the squares.  As ever, I'll let you know how this project progresses...


No comments:

Post a Comment